Thursday 4 November 2010

Medicine and Poetry

Saw this article in the most recent Student BMJ. I couldn't agree more. Being able to reflect on one's own experience is an invaluable skill that everyone should have, especially medics. Not only will this stop you from marching your to your own drum, reflection makes you more aware of your surroundings, fine tuning the soft skills needed to make patients/other medical professionals at ease with you. And what better way to reflect than to write poetry? I know I like poetry because I love literature from a very young age. A lot of people moan and groan when asked to do a reflective piece, but hey you're only expected to do creative piece during your 5 years in med school, after this you'll work like robots/slaves so I guess enjoy this while you can. Writing poetry is fun, makes you more alert to how each word sounds, rhythm, metaphors, imagination, music, ... the list goes on.

I love poetry so much. Nobody can take this away from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment