Tuesday 16 November 2010

Exciting yet Dispiriting.

Harumph! What's the point of playing the guitar if I can't even play the C chord right. It buzzes, it mutes, it's painful, and it still doesn't sound right. I've been lazy lately, because I'll put a capo in the 1st or 2nd fret to make it easier, but you're not training your fingers dummy!! Ergh, it's really annoying and very frustrating, it's an easy chord, everyone can do it, yet I can't do it properly. Even my barre chords sound better than my C chord. It has got to a point where I think there are only a few options available now:

a) Cut out the pad of my index finger so it doesn't mute the high E string

b) Practice until my fingers fall to pieces

c) Get an electric guitar because it doesn't sound too bad when I play it on the electric guitar

d) Get a short scale acoustic guitar because the chord sounds lovely on my mini 3/4 classical guitar.

e) Bare with it.

Some people think it's a pointless pursuit, but I feel that playing the guitar gives me a sense of achievement. Many a times I'm embarrassed to play with other players because I know I'll never be good enough, but I've learn to be thick skinned and just play. No inhibition whatsoever. I started from scratch and will be rubbish until I'm old enough to put this down but at least I have convinced myself that I tried!

I love Justin Sandercoe, he is a good guitar teacher, and I got this off his website. A friend introduced me to Steve Vai last year and what a surprise! He's very articulate. I think he says exactly how I feel about guitar so well. See, it's dedication as well as talent. Minus the talent, I might be able to get the dedication part right. Keep practicing!

No comments:

Post a Comment